Duplicate when moving a task

Hi Adam, your app is almost as useful than Google maps to me!

When moving a task, it creates a copy of itself right next to it. You end up needing to delete one of them.

Maybe it's a bug specific for the Galaxy S5 and S7.

Thanks again, Shawn.

Comments

• PascalPascal Moderator
    I confirm, the same happens on my (Acer) phone.
  • AdamAdam Developer
    Thank you both for reporting this. Which "move" is it? On the Day Plan, from one day to another? After the move you have this task added twice to the "another" day?
  • shawnmalikshawnmalik Member
    Exactly!
  • AdamAdam Developer
    Hm, that's really strange. I use "move" often and have never seen it. And you see it on both your phones? What are the Android versions on them?
    I just tried moving tasks and now it works fine. I guess a recent update fixed the problem. Thanks!
  • AdamAdam Developer
    Yep, that's possible. Thanks for letting me know and sorry I couldn't get to it right away.
    You're welcome :P
  • jodycbjodycb Member
    I'm still having this problem.
  • AdamAdam Developer
    Have you noticed that it happens on any specific occasion, like when you move only 1 task, or when you move only a long list of tasks? Or only when you move by more than 1 day? Only on Thursdays? I tried various combinations but can't reproduce the problem so any observation would be helpful. Sometimes some weird, seemingly unrelated thing points in the right direction.
  • jodycbjodycb Member
    It happens when I long press a task in my schedule > more > more options and then move it to the next day.

I tend to move tasks this way when it's something I HAVE to remember to do but I'm realizing it's not going to happen today.

I just moved a task from today, a Tuesday to tomorrow, a Wednesday.

I know I've had it happen most of the time when moving a task one day ahead. It might not have happened every single time. I noticed it didn't happen once last week after I posted here and thought that it was fixed. So there is something intermittent feeling about it. I'll update if I have more detail.
  • AdamAdam Developer
    Great, thank you. This is exactly the kind of observation I had in mind. I keep looking.
  • PascalPascal Moderator
    The problem still occurs on my current phone (Moto G5 plus, Android 7.0).
    It happens only when I move a single task from one day to another. The strange thing is also that the duplication happens most of the time, but on some occasions, the task is not duplicated when moved. I have been playing a lot with moving tasks, but so far, I haven't found any logic on when it duplicates and when not :(

There's no duplication when moving more than 1 task at once.
  • AdamAdam Developer
    Please let me know if the problem persists after upgrading to version 6.0.2.
  • PascalPascal Moderator
    Unfortunately, the problem is still there in 6.0.2. I often move tasks because for the moment I'm not using any other app like Toodledo to maintain my task backlog. Instead, I'm placing backlog tasks immediately in Goalist in the schedule of the first free day. This involves frequent task moving to the next day, which makes the task duplicate, so I need to remove the double. Not a big issue, but it would be cool if it could get fixed :-)
  • AdamAdam Developer
    The problem is that I can't replicate this behavior. I'm moving a task every day now to catch this problem, but never got a duplication.

Maybe you could observe if it happens to old tasks only and never to recently created? That's one of the ideas I had, that the old tasks may have some data leftovers which cause the duplication... I could think about implementing some kind of data validator in that case...
  • PascalPascal Moderator
    I created a brand new task. Then I moved it to next Sunday. And guess what... It was duplicated. So we can exclude the option that it has to do with old data leftovers.

I also tested with a very old task ("Dinner", existing since January 2016): same result: the task is duplicated.

Another funny test: I added a 1-hour task on Sunday. Then I moved it to today, knowing that I have only 1,5 hours left on today's schedule. (=enough for one 1-hour task but not enough for 2).
    Result: I can't move it because "There's not enough space left on the selected list".

I also tried other things: moving a task marked as done, moving tasks from the schedule from a day in 2016 to another day in 2016, moving to the same day, moving the first task of the day, ...
    All of them are duplicated...
  • jodycbjodycb Member
    I'm not sure if someone else said this already but I don't have the issue when I'm moving more than one task.

So if I decide I'm not going to get around to updating my budget today and I move that task to tomorrow. It duplicates.

But if I decide that I need to push 2 or 3 tasks off until tomorrow, there is no duplication.

(This isn't a big deal for me anymore. It still happens but it's not stressing me out. I just wanted to share what I figured out.)
  • AdamAdam Developer
    Thank you, every observation brings us closer to narrowing down the cause of the problem...