Bug or User Error with Notifications

I drifted away from goalist for a few months and am back at it, but ever since I came back, my notifications aren't working, or are working sometimes but mostly not working. It will yell "brush your teeth" at me in the morning but not make a sound for 90% of my other tasks. I most rely on it for time boxing and if it doesn't let me know that I need to be moving on to another task it is not much help. I even cleared out my whole database of all my tasks and (I think) my settings and am starting from scratch and I still can't get the notifications to reliably work. It has been crashing a lot too. One or two times, it's crashed right when it was supposed to notify me but I don't know if that's a separate issue or related.

My guess is that some basic setting has changed dramatically since I was using it a few months ago and I just don't know how to make it work for me again.

Comments

• jodycbjodycb Member
    I have not tried reinstalling it yet. I'm lazy and trying to avoid that if it's a simple setting.
  • AdamAdam Developer
    I've worked a lot recently on making the notifications more accurate. It's related to changes in Android - alarms which once were accurate now are not anymore by design - to conserve battery. New and new functions and alarm types are being introduced and the old ones are changed to behave differently, which is annoying and requires constant work. Even if you didn't change your Android version I've updated some libraries recently, and most probably they have introduced these changed behaviors.

I'm still testing the improvements and need to finish testing improvements to the "Rating" log type before I'll be able to release a new version. But it should happen soon, this week for sure, maybe even today, I'll do my best.

• AdamAdam Developer
    Oh, and the crashes are also related to changes in the libraries, I'm correcting them over time but it's a complex and time-consuming process... I've run out of testing devices which is also an obstacle. But I hope the next release will improve things, so please give it another try. I'll write here when I publish the next version.
  • jodycbjodycb Member
    Ok. Thank you for the update and thanks for all your work on this app. I has been really helpful to me.
  • AdamAdam Developer
    I found multiple other problems, so it took me much longer, but I'm finally publishing a new version: 5.7.0. Hope it's not too late for you to give it a try and let me know if it's any better now - thanks!
  • WKDWKD Member
    Thanks for the update looking forward to the new rating log but sorry I'm finding goalist crashes when i go into logs now... i uninstalled goalist and tried it with no data to see if it might be related to my logs but crashing with no previous data too if that helps
  • AdamAdam Developer
    Thank you, I'm just publishing 5.7.1 which should fix this.
  • WKDWKD Member
    Adam said:

Thank you, I'm just publishing 5.7.1 which should fix this.

Thanks yes it has :)

• WKDWKD Member
    Sorry my notifications aren't working on my new phone which is android 8.0. Also (possibly related) phone tells me goalist has stopped responding a few times a day don't know if there's an option to enable debugging or error messages that might help diagnosing the issue if it only affects android 8?
  • AdamAdam Developer
    Most probably... I haven't seen Android 8 yet. Each new version of Android introduces new problems :( I'll try to find a phone with this system to test it...
  • cbarzeycbarzey Member
    edited July 26 Posts: 0
    I'm having this same issue as well since I've updated my phone to Android 8.0. I cannot get the notifications to work either. PLEASE HELP! This app is useless to me without this feature
  • cbarzeycbarzey Member
    cbarzey said:

I'm having this same issue as well since I've updated my phone to Android 8.0. I cannot get the notifications to work either. PLEASE HELP! This app is useless to me without this feature

• AdamAdam Developer
    I understand, but I don't have access to this system so can't help...
  • lradhalradha Member
    Today morning all my notifications topped working.
    I reinstall, switch off/ on , no any result.
    Pl, give me solution for this problem.
  • lradhalradha Member
    lradha said:

Today morning all my notifications topped working.
    I reinstall, switch off/ on , no any result.
    Pl, give me solution for this problem.

Hi,
    Almost whole day ihas been spending to recover my notifications. I installed and reinstalled it 3 times, then did manipulation with setting and restarted the app. At last i remembered that day before i changed all my "tags". So i removed them and.... miracle...notifications have waken up.
    I parchased 3 level only due the TTS notifications so was so upset that wasted money.
    But now, hope it will serve me nicely.

• AdamAdam Developer
    Hi lradha, I'm sorry you've experienced this problem. I'll investigate the influence of tags on this, not sure how it could happen... :(